Soymilk is an incredible source of protein and amino acids. Fresh soymilk with no preservatives and made from 100% Organic Soybeans is hard to come by in the store but you can make your own! And let's be honest, it just tastes better when it's homemade. Another great decision by you! Here are the steps to mastering the simple art of making your own Organic Soymilk:
- Soak your Great Minds Organics dry soybeans overnight (be sure to add 2-3x more water than soybeans and allow for plenty of room in your container for them to expand, they will expand to 2-3x their size when saturated.)
- Drain the water and rinse the soybeans in a strainer multiple times until the water is running clear after rinsing
- Place your beans in a blender with water to make soy milk - add about 1 cup of water, or more, for every 1 cup of wet beans. Grind until they make a slurry
- Strain the soy milk through cheese cloth or a nut milk bag and collect the liquid in a bowl or pot. Squeeze out as much milk as possible!
- Bring the soymilk to a boil and simmer for 10 minutes. BE SURE TO WATCH YOUR SOYMILK CLOSELY AND STIR REGULARLY TO AVOID SCORCHING YOUR SOYMILK AND BOILING OVER THE TOP. THIS CAN HAPPEN QUICKLY!
- Now you have soymilk! As your soymilk cools, you will notice a thin filmy layer forming on top - this is known as whey and is completely normal. You can take a spatula or spoon and gently scoop this out. Refrigerate your soymilk from here on out. Because it is so delicious and healthy for you (and also because it has no preservatives) you should consume within a week and always refrigerate your soymilk.
- The most important step in this entire process is to enjoy your production! This is a high-protein, 100% organic, delicious creation made by you! Share your experience with us @GreatMindsOrganics on social media! We'd love to share your recipes with the rest of the community!